Sunday 26 June 2011

The first whoopie pies

Yesterday I made whoopie pies for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect - although I've read a lot about them, I hadn't actually eaten one. I followed a Hummingbird Bakery recipe which was quite different to making a normal sponge; it included yoghurt, and involved chilling the mixture in the fridge before baking.

I found it hard to get the mixture to look round on the baking trays, as the chilling had made it very stiff. I've read that you can use a piping bag to get the shape right, but I think it was far too stiff to have tried that. So when they came out the oven, they didn't look anything like they were meant to! Not very round, smooth, or orderly at all!



The filling (the whoopie, as I consider it, to the cake pie) is made with a normal butter and icing mix, plus marshmallow fluff, which is basically runny marshmallow (so sugary that tasting it made my eyes hurt). I made half the amount the recipe had suggested as previous attempts at Hummingbir Bakery recipes meant I knew there'd be too much. The filling needed chilling for 30 minutes in the fridge, which I did, but when composing the pies it just went EVERYWHERE!

They looked hilarious, and I don't think I've laughed so much making any other type of cake. They look NOTHING like they're supposed to!

But, they are very yummy.

How they're supposed to look:


How mine look:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments, hints, tips, and anything else!