Wednesday 20 June 2012

Chocolate cookies like cake

I just baked some chocolate chip chunk cookies that are more like cake than they are like cookies.

I am confused. I've never really got the hang of making great cookies - I make pretty good raisin and oatmeal ones, and some smashing almond and apricot ones, not to mention really ace ginger biscuits, but choc cookies have always alluded me. I really want that crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, armadillo, kinda feeling. These cookies, while tasty, actually had more of a texture of cake. Thin, squashed cake. Odd. Maybe I didn't bake them for long enough, I don't know, but they certainly weren't right. Frustrating.

Chocolate chip cookies that taste like cake

If you'd like to bake cookies that are more like cake (I'm not sure why you would, but I persevere), follow this...

125g marg
60g caster sugar
40g soft dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
150g plain flour
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g chocolate chunks

Beat marg until soft, add sugar, and beat together until fluffy. Beat the egg with the vanilla, then add to the mixture.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Work in the chocolate.
Place heaped teaspoons of mixture on to prepared baking trays - I made three tray-fulls.
Bake in the oven, preheated to 170 degrees (fan), for about 10 minutes, until golden brown, slightly darker at the edges.

A note at this point: if your trays don't all fit in the oven at once, don't be tempted to rest one on the lip of the other at an angle. This will mean the cookie mixture will slide, and you'll end up with strange-looking cookies...

Strange-looking slidey cookies

As if he was psychic, my boyfriend brought home chocolate chip cookies from the supermarket at the exact time I was taking these out of the oven. He must have had a premonition that mine weren't really going to resemble cookies. But, he ate the all the same.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, very much enjoying having a look through your blog, I found it through alpha bakes.

    I have a choc chip cookie recipe that when I use butter they are beautiful, crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, once I ran out of butter and used marg and they were cakey. I think this is true for lots of cookies. I am not a marg hater, in cakes and some biscuits I think it is absolutely fine but I think for the texture you want for these cookies butter may be the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona, that's a really great tip, thank you. I'll try these with butter next time and see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, hints, tips, and anything else!