Monday 25 June 2012

Tea Time Treats - Cherry Bakewell Cake

My inaugural entry in Karen's Lavendar & Lovage and What Kate Baked June Tea Time Treats blogerific challenge is: Cherry Bakewell Cake!


This month's challenge was 'berries' and how could I not enter this yummy cake, which I've been using to cheer up and inspire all of my cake-loving friends lately. This weekend I made this cake for a hen party, which included a life drawing class (very fun but very odd...) followed by High Tea. Lots of people make cakes, but most were cupcakes (see this brilliant rant about cupcakes) - but I was very happy to see that most hens went straight for the cake - sharing and enjoying a slice is so much more enjoyable than a cupcake at a party like this I think.

Anyway, back to the berries and cake. Here's the recipe... It makes a very moist, very berry, very morish cake.

200g margarine
200g golden caster sugar
100g ground almonds
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp almond essence
4 large eggs

Put everything in a big bowl and mix together (it helps if the marg is nice and soft to start with). Pour into two 20cm cake tins, and bake at 180 degrees (160fan) for about 30 - 35 minutes. The cake will be quite soft and spongy when cooked, but a skewer should come out clean.



I did find the cake very delicate and difficult to handle when getting it out of the tin, and a little did fall off. But it survived. When you're putting the layers together, make sure the one on the top is upside-down, so it's nice and flat to spread the icing on to.

When cool, spread one layer with cherry conserve. Place the second layer on top, and spread over some icing (icing sugar & cooled boiled water - I never measure icing amounts!). It's nice to get the icing to dribble stylishly down the side of the cake - but I'm not great at that sort of thing so it looks a bit lumpy. I think I need to go to a cake decorating course... Finish off with a sprinkling of toasted flaked almonds.


I love the cherries in the cherry conserve. They're so chewy and squidgy, jammy and gooey, and tart while sweet and delicious. I wish I could say I made the jam myself... but unfortunately I didn't.

Perfect with a cup of Earl Grey (or whichever tea you prefer... but not chocolate tea) at tea time.

6 comments:

  1. wowzers... look at this monster of a cherry bakewell... divinely decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love the look of these cherry bakewell cakes...it's the icing that always makes it look so tempting! I've got a bakewell on my to do list for July but whether I get round to it is another matter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the icing looks lovely, although I really struggled to make it look pretty - it was definitely manipulated and didn't just fall down the sides nicely on its own unfortunately! Tasted delish - just like a Bakewell tart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super entry to TTT! Thank you ever so much Sophie- I adore Cherry Bakewell Cake and could gobble this entire bake in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely, what a great recipe. Living only a few miles from the real Bakewell I do think I should make Bakewell tart more often but this is even better !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious and I have to say it looks delicious too - love the almonds on the top.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, hints, tips, and anything else!